Do you allow necroposting on your forum?

Chat it up about everything related to owning a forum. Give your advice to other forum owners about what to do in certain situations, etc.
Ashley
Forum Manager
Do you allow necroposting on your forum?

Unread post by Ashley »

For those who don't know, necroposting is the act of bumping up old topics. I'm not talking advertising posts, that in itself is a given, but I mean discussion topics in general. Not only do we here at Chatting Time allow necroposting, we actually encourage it. Nothing has ever peeved me more than logging into a forum and seeing a gazillion posts on the same, if not similar topic. Obviously there are exceptions as to when bumping up old topics is a huge no-no across the board, like when talking about news updates on video games, new forum software updates etc. There are occasions where we may cut you some slack. Take video games for instance: a topic comes up saying that a new game is due out soon and practically everybody on the site is looking forward to the official release date of said game. In this case we may leave the topic up for a bit longer than usual so people can discuss the game via general discussion. After a time though, maybe a few weeks to a month after the game comes out, we might lock the topic and ask members to post a second general discussion about the game and just talk about it in that thread.
Proud owner and founder of Image since April 2019
SpacewardAsh
Server Admin
Re: Do you allow necroposting on your forum?

Unread post by SpacewardAsh »

I think it should be encouraged if someone has something worthwhile to add to the discussion!
Ashley
Forum Manager

Unread post by Ashley »

SpacewardAsh wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:23 am I think it should be encouraged if someone has something worthwhile to add to the discussion!
Exactly. Sometimes when I go to other forums and see 5 to 10 topics on the same subject, sometimes I wish I was on staff at the forum in question so I can go through and merge all the duplicate content. I've never understood why people are so strict about this. Again, some discussions I can understand locking after a time, like forum software updates, sales of domains or websites that have long since been completed etc, but general topics have always confused me.
Proud owner and founder of Image since April 2019
Kyng

Unread post by Kyng »

Yes, I allow it (and I actively engage in it :P ).

The only time I don't really like it is when people revive old news stories - but even then, I allow it if there's something new to add!
#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Empire

Unread post by Empire »

I have old topics that do get bumped up. But they are not outdated in a way to be old you know, for example, a topic about Cats and Dogs and the last person replied back 2 years ago, now it's been two years and how that topic was said and put together is still in use and still available to keep that thread going. So member comes to read and post about his or her answers ;)

If it was a topic about an event for that one night after a while it does become old and pointless and it would be a good time to close the thread rather than bumping it. But on my end, I allow it for most topics :) If the topic is open and it fits to your answers then reply, most of the time members use common sense. Plus rather have one topic about the subject then having 500 topics on the same subject :P
StormyFire

Unread post by StormyFire »

I don't see a problem with it as long as it is on-topic.
Come promote at Community Blast, the friendliest promotion forum out there!
Uncrowned Guard

Unread post by Uncrowned Guard »

Ya, aside from a few items, like news reports or stuff that simply makes no sense to bring back into the conversation, I don't have much of a problem with it. I try my best to try and prevent necroposting by acting on topics that wouldn't make sense before users get a chance to bring them back around.
DudeThatsErin

Unread post by DudeThatsErin »

My forum is brand new so I currently don't have old topics. When I do though, I will allow it. I am going to because of the genre my forum is in. It is about coding help and bumping old topics would just help our newbies possibly learn something new and hopefully prevent reposts.
Lammchen

Unread post by Lammchen »

I don't mind it as long as it's not an old prayer request on Christianity Haven. Most topics can still be discussed and be relevant though. On Crafter Craze I wouldn't mind it at all since crafts are timeless.