IPB vs Xenforo?

Chat it up about everything related to owning a forum. Give your advice to other forum owners about what to do in certain situations, etc.
Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

I myself by far prefer Xenforo to IPB because I love how customizable Xenforo is compared to IPB.

Ravenfreak
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak »

I personally like IPB more. I feel that it runs a bit smoother, at least it did for me when I was testing the demos out. Plus IPS has a ACP that's easier to navigate and plus I like having the option to add a question section. (I don't recall if Xenforo has this out of the box. It's been a while since I tested the demo out.) Sure it's more expensive if you're needing a gallery and other add-ons but it's worth getting IMO. The company also has more experience with software since they've been around much longer too IMO. (Xenforo is great don't get me wrong. I just like IPB better. :P )

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

Ravenfreak wrote:
5 months ago
I personally like IPB more. I feel that it runs a bit smoother, at least it did for me when I was testing the demos out. Plus IPS has a ACP that's easier to navigate and plus I like having the option to add a question section. (I don't recall if Xenforo has this out of the box. It's been a while since I tested the demo out.) Sure it's more expensive if you're needing a gallery and other add-ons but it's worth getting IMO. The company also has more experience with software since they've been around much longer too IMO. (Xenforo is great don't get me wrong. I just like IPB better. :P )
What do you mean by question section? Are you talking member interviews or captchas with questions like "what is the name of this forum?"

Ravenfreak
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak »

IPB has the option to make a sub forum a "questions" section, basically members can ask questions and other members can answer them. It's more like for support rather than the "Ask Me Anything" topics. :)

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

Ravenfreak wrote:
5 months ago
IPB has the option to make a sub forum a "questions" section, basically members can ask questions and other members can answer them. It's more like for support rather than the "Ask Me Anything" topics. :)
Ah, I see. Kind of like a private member/staff forum, where members can bring up complaints or questions in private without the whole website knowing? Especially if you're reporting an individual members behavior or something? I've been on maybe a couple forums that have these kinds of sections and I personally found them helpful. Much better than running around trying to PM a staff member, and only you and the staff as a whole knows what the problem is.

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

I see, but it’s not really necessary for me personally.

SpacewardAsh
Server Admin
Great Britain

Post by SpacewardAsh »

Ravenfreak wrote:
5 months ago
XenForo now has this option. Personally, I have always found XF considerably faster when compared with IPB. Also, as for experience, While XF itself might only be 10, the founding developers, Kier, Mike and Ashley, previously worked for vBulletin for a number of years, so I don't think experience and age should be a reason to compare the two pieces of forum software IMO.