XenForo Becoming Too Expensive

Chat it up about everything related to owning a forum. Give your advice to other forum owners about what to do in certain situations, etc.
jasony

Post by jasony »

Well, they've jacked up their prices. However, the payoff could be more quality, I don't know. Anyway, considering the price of premium forum software, it's no wonder people want free alternatives. However, though, those are often harder to deal with. In fact, you need a lot of tech knowledge.

Smokey
United States of America

Post by Smokey »

I dropped a few add-ons I initially used because of the increase in price for a XF license. I use it because I already paid for it and hate to have it just go to waste. Plus for the content on my forum, I'd need Jcink premium and if i'm gonna spend $9.99/mo for that anyway, I might as well go self-hosted and run Xenforo. :P

jasony

Post by jasony »

Well, the thing is - that anything worthwhile is going to cost. However, though, Burning Board could get a person the same experience for way less. Who has tried that? Well, Burning Board could be a rip-off due to "hidden things". What might they be? Well, perhaps there is no support for the lower cost - but a lot of people might be able to get by without pro-support.
Smokey wrote:
9 months ago
I dropped a few add-ons I initially used because of the increase in price for a XF license. I use it because I already paid for it and hate to have it just go to waste. Plus for the content on my forum, I'd need Jcink premium and if i'm gonna spend $9.99/mo for that anyway, I might as well go self-hosted and run Xenforo. :P
There's also the thrill of DIY (do-it-yourself). I mean, I enjoy all the little fun things that go a long with hosting things yourself.

Smokey
United States of America

Post by Smokey »

Yeah I agree. I'm happy with where Revillution is at, I just wish I had more funds to dedicate towards it so I can do things like get a few more add-ons I want to implement into the site sooner rather than later, but it is what it is.